Breakfast Frittata



I love making breakfast on the weekends for Michelle and I.  Typically I make a simple scramble with mushrooms and onions with a side of home fries.  This is basically the same thing except all mixed together in a frittata.  

The thing that I love about eggs is that you can add anything to them.  These are just some of our favorite ingredients that we almost always have on hand, but you can add whatever you want once you know the technique.  

For a tasty breakfast you will need:

1 medium potato (I actually used 2 small red potatoes)
1/2 red onion
8 ounces of crimini mushrooms
4 cups of baby spinach
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used white cheddar)
4 eggs
a drop of milk
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees before you forget.  I decided to use a mandolin to slice the potatoes thin, but it's not necessary.  You can chop the potatoes along with the mushrooms and onions if you don't have a mandolin.


This is a great recipe to use your cast iron skillet on.  Heat over medium heat and add some olive oil.  Lay the potatoes out in a thin layer so that they brown evenly.  Season with salt and pepper and don't mess with them too much. 


Try to be patient so that the potatoes brown evenly and flip in a single layer to brown the other side.


Next, add the mushrooms and veggies and saute until soft and brown, maybe 7 minutes.


Then add the spinach and wilt it down.  Season again with salt and pepper.


While the veggies cook, scramble 4 eggs and a couple tablespoons of milk in a bowl.  Then add the cheese directly to the bowl of eggs.


Next, add the eggs to the veggies.  Incorporate everything, but don't scramble the eggs.  Use a spatula to peel back the cooked edges and tilt the pan so that the raw egg mixture in the middle slides to the side and to the bottom of the pan so that it cooks.


Finish off the frittata in the oven.  Bake for about 10 minute until the egg puffs up and when you stick a fork in the middle it comes out clean.


This is breakfast after all, so serve with some coffe and toasted bread.



Comments