Copenhagen, Denmark {With Abby & Brandon}

Copenhagen, where do I start with this one?  What an incredible city, and an incredible weekend with good friends, good food and expensive cocktails.

It all starts with our apartment, I mean, look at this place.  Modern, lot's of natural light, and super cool.
Beautiful place
Modern and cool
Just outside our apartment, among other nice establishments in the neighborhood, we all couldn't believe our eyes when we looked across the street and saw Kebabistan.  Probably the most amazingly named Kebab joint we've ever seen, and living in Europe, we see a lot.  If I bring my passport, will I get a new stamp from Kebabistan?  I wish we went to find out.

We got a few good laughs out of this
Anyway, speaking of food, Copenhagen has an unbelievably good and hip food scene, and we took full advantage of it starting when we arrived.  Just around the corner from Kebabistan, we ventured into a cute little cafe for a bite.  Turns out, there were only 2 things on the menu - Meat or Veggie Smorgasbord Brunch.  Easy enough, boys ordered the meat, girls the veggie.  Honestly, I was only swayed by the fresh yogurt and homemade granola dish.
Brandon and Brian checking out the scene
Amazing Veggie Smorgasbord brunch platter
I don't think any of us left a crumb on our boards. This food was our first impression of Copenhagen, and it or the rest did not disappoint.
sweet ride
Our Copenhagen trip was over the last days of March.  When we booked the trip, we weren't expecting the weather to still be so cold, but it turned out to be a cold spring all across Europe, and while we got sun, it was still not much above 0 degrees (or 32 F).
 
We were surprised that the harbor was covered in snow


We spent the next few days walking around the city, checking out the palaces, indulging in the food, basking in the sun (in jackets), popping into the Design Museum, and enjoying the good company of friends.  I honestly think we could live in the Nordics - Stockholm & Copenhagen have won our hearts.

There are 5 palaces in Copenhagen - 5!  Summer homes and winter homes of royal families.  I couldn't keep them straight.  We weren't seeking them out, but it felt like everywhere we went, we kept running into another palace, which is pretty cool.
B&B in front of the first palace

Abby and I at the first palace

palace entrance
You see, we didn't realize there were so many palaces,
so I took a lot of photos of the first one
I just love the buildings in Copenhagen, the colors and textures. They looked so good next to each other.

One thing that I still can't get over about Denmark is the way people just leave their babies outside of shops, restaurants, cafes, and stores.  In college, I studied abroad in Aarhus, Denmark, and it was the same there - but I had forgotten.  It's incredible, and so amazingly cool.  Even in the freezing cold weather, buggies with babies would be left outside while the Mom or Dad (which, in Denmark is a pretty even split who is taking care of the child) enjoys their coffee, or does their shopping inside the shop.
There are babies in those buggies - seriously.
The first afternoon, we checked out the town as we made our way to the famous canal, Nyhavn.
Part of the main square
Another view of the main square
We went up The Round Tower for a view of the city
My husband, hiding on the way down from the Round Tower, he actually scared Brandon pretty good.
We stumbled upon this picturesque square 
Cute photo of B
 l love this one Abby captured this one of Brian and I
Another Palace - Christansborg Palace
Like I said, it wasn't warm, but the sun was out and the skies were clear of clouds - and even though it was barely above freezing, when the sun shined down on us, it felt amazing.  

We took full advantage.
Basking in the sun, with our winter jackets on
When we peeled ourselves away from the sun, we were close to Nyhavn, the famous, picture perfect canal, and our destination for the afternoon.  We made one last stop as we spotted the most amazing street toys, trampolines!  We had to stop to play.

So much fun!
Street trampoline-ing
Brandon showed us all up by hitting all 5 in one jump (first GIF on the blog!!)
And then we made it to our destination
Nyhavn is the canal you see on all the postcards 
We stopped at the canal for lunch and a Tubog beer
We actually took off our jackets for a few minutes
And, right when we were finishing lunch, this incredible Funk/Jazz Quartet showed up.
So, naturally, we ordered another beer so we could sit an enjoy. So worth it.
It was one of the highlights of the trip. Sitting outside on a beautiful canal with
the sun shinning down on us over a pint of Tuborg, listening to some great music.
When the band left, we left, and heading back to the apartment
I snapped a few shots of the city at dusk
Swans on ice - they also didn't get the memo about the cold Spring
This is totally posed, but I still like it
Our first night, we went to a great restaurant, called Radio - then proceeded to a cocktail bar where the people and ambiance were super hip. It was definitely cool.  So cool that on the receipt, one of Brandon's drinks was called "A Man's Drink".

1 Man's Drink, please.
P.S. It's not $580, they use Kroner in Denmark, but it wasn't cheap
Day 2 we had just as much fun.
A guard at Amalienborg Palace
Walking up to the palace
The Design Museum - one of our favorite museums we've been to
The guy we rented the apartment from gave us tickets for this museum,
so thoughtful
Super modern, and very cool design
From the courtyard of the museum, more cool buildings
On our way to the Kastellet, a Star Fortress
The best thing we could find to do at Kastellet was enjoy a little more of the sun - hehe
The Kastellet was en route to the famous Little Mermaid statue.  It's the 3rd time I've been to this
statue, and every time the group I'm with feels the same - I can't believe we came all
this way for this - but that's just what you do when you're in Copenhagen
After seeing the Little Mermaid, we found ourselves enjoying the sun,
on a bench, in front of another palace
Frederiksberg Palace
Copenhagen is the home of Carlsberg beer
Lunch al fresco
Skål (Cheers) to a great trip to Copenhagen
This lunch was the end of our trip to Copenhagen - it was another amazing weekend on this crazy European adventure.  And surely one we will remember for many years to come.  Thanks to Abby and Brandon for helping make it so memorable.

Comments