Potato and Onion Frittata
I'm a big fan of weekend breakfasts. After 5 straight days of eating yogurt or cereal in my cubicle, I am always ready for a nice breakfast at home. We usually do our main grocery shopping on the weekends, so breakfast is always a great opportunity to use up whatever is leftover from the week. This morning I found myself with leftover potatoes from the baked chicken, onions from the pizza, and green onions from the Dan Dan Noodles. There's no better way to use up ingredients than in some type of egg dish. Today I departed from the typical scramble and whipped up a quick frittata.
You can add anything you want to a frittata, it's just the simple technique that you need to know in order to make sure that it cooks properly. For our breakfast I used:
4 eggs
1 tablespoon milk
3 fingerling potatoes
1/2 of a white onion
2 sprigs green onion
2 tablespoons of cheese (we had leftover Amsterdam Reserve Gouda, the best cheese ever)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. If you have a mandolin, slice the potatoes very thin, but not too thin since you don't want to end up with potato chips. If you don't have a mandolin, just practice your knife skills slicing the potatoes. Dice the onion, and the green onion, and shred the cheese. Whisk together 4 eggs and a drop of milk in a bowl, add a bit of salt and pepper.
When making eggs, don't be a hero, just use a non-stick pan. I used a 12 inch pan because I like thin frittatas, but you could use a smaller pan for a thicker version. Add a drop of olive oil, maybe a tablespoon at the most to a pan on medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and brown on both sides. Make sure that the potatoes are in a single layer, otherwise they won't cook evenly. Make sure to season the potatoes but be careful with the salt if you are using salty cheese like I was.
Next, add just the white onions and soften over medium heat. You don't want to brown the onions, just sweat them out for about 3-5 minutes.
Add the green onions and cheese to the mixed eggs and drop in the pan. You don't want to stir the eggs like in a scramble. Instead, use a spatula and run along the side of the pan, lifting up the the edges and tipping the pan so that the egg in the center moves to the side and underneath. I would have loved to have gotten some action shots showing how to lift the edges, but my photographer was still sleeping. She usually wakes up as soon as breakfast is ready which is exactly what she did today.
Continue this process for a few minutes, then place the pan in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes. The frittata should puff up and edges should get just a bit browned. Check the center either by touch or by placing a fork in the middle. If it comes out clean then you know you're ready.
This is why you use a non-stick pan, just slide the frittata off onto a plate and serve. If you have some leftover Acme bread and some of Marla's homemade raspberry jam then it makes for a great compliment to just about any breakfast.
Comments
Post a Comment