Mixed Sandos and Tomato Salad

We are a few weeks behind on the blog, actually about a month behind...  Last month my in-laws were staying with us and I had to whip up a quick lunch for everyone.  I decided to make a few finger sandwiches to try and please the crowd.  I paired the sandwiches with a light tomato salad to round out the meal.


We had 3 sandwiches on the menu.

Toasted pesto, prosciutto, and mozzarella on Italian batard 
Turkey, dijon, swiss cheese, and arugula on Italian batard
Roast beef with white cheddar, caramelized onions and horseradish on a pressed sweet baguette

My tomato salad is basically a crapese salad, but chopped in a more rustic style instead of sliced and stacked like a traditional Insalata Crapese.  I usually only make the classic version in the summer months when heirloom tomatoes are available.  

For a great salad for lunch or dinner, just chop up a couple of tomatoes.  Use whatever variety looks good at the time.  Then add some chopped basil and mozzarella.  Drizzle over some olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette to taste, then add some salt and pepper.  The salad gets even better if you let it rest for a 10 minutes or so.  The salt pulls the juices out of the tomatoes and makes a dressing of sorts.  Super simple, light, and delicious. 


Good caramelized onions take some time, so get started on them early.  Cook a sliced onion on low heat until golden and sweet.  Slice the baguette and spread some horseradish sauce on the bread.  Then layer the roast beef and cheese, and top with the onions.  


A panini press is a great investment.  There are some fancy electric ones, but I have a stove top version that I love.  The trick is to control the heat so the cheese melts and the bread toasts but doesn't burn.

Looks good, right?


For the next sandwich, just spread some pesto on the sliced Italian batard (or whatever bread you are using).  Then layer on a piece of prosciutto and top with some good mozzarella.   


I toasted my sandos in the toaster oven for just about 7 minutes or so.  Again, not rocket science, just toast until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.


Finally, for the last sandwich, just spread some dijon on the bread and layer on the turkey, cheese, and arugula.  No toasting, no pressing, just served as is.


Quick, easy, and a definite crowd pleaser.




Comments