No Cream Broccoli Soup



I am not the biggest broccoli fan.  I think that it has more to do with the texture though, because I love cream of broccoli soup.  This recipe that Michelle found on Real Simple is a great way to get that same creamy taste but without the cream.  

For super simple soup for 4, you will need:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion
1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
2 cups stock (I used chicken stock)
1 bunch broccoli, florets roughly chopped and stems peeled and sliced (about 7 cups)
1 large russet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese

To get started, chop the onion and peel and chop the potato.


Next, heat the oil in a dutch oven and add the onion and red pepper.  Cook for a few minutes until soft.


While the onion cooks away, wash and cut the broccoli into manageable florets.


When the onions are soft, but not brown, add the potatoes.


And the broccoli.



And finally the stock.  The recipe calls for 2 cups of stock and 2 cups of water.  I had some homemade stock to use up so I actually used all stock since I had exactly 4 cups.


Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, or to your own taste.


Cover and reduce the heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until everything is soft.


After 20 minutes you should have something that looks along these lines.


If you don't have an immersion blender, you can work in batches and transfer the soup to the blender.  If you do have an immersion blender though, you know what to do. 


It takes just a few minutes to smooth out the soup.  The immersion blender is a huge timesaver.  


Once you reach the right consistency, stir in some grated cheddar cheese.  As always, don't forget to taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.


Voila, super creamy and rich, no cream broccoli soup.



Comments