Won Ton Soup
Two of my favorite things: soup and Chinese food... I am continuing my mission to expand my Asian cooking skills. Wonton soup is one of my favorite comfort foods and perfect for this time of year. While it's easy to get delivery or take out, I was surprised at how easy it was to make at home.
You can actually follow this wonton recipe to make pot stickers. Just fry them up at the end instead of boiling in the broth for delicious homemade pot stickers.
For the soup (at least 4 servings) you will need:
1/2 lb of ground pork
1/4 lb of shrimp
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
1 green onion stalk
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
wonton wrappers
8 cups of chicken broth
You can make Wor Wonton Soup if you want by adding some noodles, meat, veggies, and so on.
Again, this is super simple. Chop the ginger, shrimp, and green onions. Then combine them in a bowl with the pork, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and oyster sauce.
Then mix everything together.
Next just roll them up in the wrappers. It was actually a little tricky at first but I ended up getting a rhythm after a while. I was able to make about 18 or 20 wontons. Similar to my ravioli though, I ended up putting in too much filling so if you go easy on the stuffing you should probably make about 24 wontons with this recipe.
I only used 4 in my lunch and then froze the rest on a cookie sheet. Once they were frozen I transferred them to ziplock bag. Now I can have wonton soup at any time.
To finish off the soup, heat up some chicken broth and boil the wontons for about 5 minutes until they are cooked. I added some rice noodles, oyster mushrooms and scallions to my soup. I also put in a drop of siracha hot sauce and some fish sauce for more flavor. Not bad for my first attempt...
this might be might next one to try. Looks so good.
ReplyDeleteDoes that mean you are eating pork now? You can easily substitute for ground chicken or turkey, or just do all shrimp.
ReplyDelete