Rome Part 2 - An Unexpected Second Honeymoon
While in Rome last weekend, Brian and I had a taste of discrimination while trying to get a table at a restaurant, which all ended in us being on a second honeymoon.
Here is how it all went down.
We were looking for a good, traditional italian dinner in the neighborhood we were staying in, Trastevere. After some research, Brian came across Roma Sparita. It looked like the perfect place. Located in a quaint neighborhood Piazza, off the beaten track and known for their Cacio e Pepe, a traditional Roman dish.
![]() |
| Roma Sparita - photo: Meckley's Travel Blog |
We arrived at Roma Sparita around 10pm and politely asked the host (who we're pretty sure is the owner), if he spoke English (in Italian) and then proceeded to ask for a table for 2. His reply, "All full tonight".
We receded to the perimeter of the patio and observed. The response didn't seem logical. Yes, there were a few groups waiting for tables but far more tables eating dessert and close to being finished with their meal. We hung around a little while and an Italian couple walked up, talked to the same host I did, then receded to where we were to wait for a table.
Did they have a reservation? I had to know. I walked over to them, asked if they spoke English and then asked if they had a reservation. Basically, his response was "Oh, I'm sorry. It's a Roman thing, they probably don't want to seat you". He went on for a little while, we could tell he and his girlfriend felt bad for us.
At this point, I was annoyed and ready to get out of there. Brian didn't want to leave. He knew there was good food at Roma Sparita and didn't want to spend time walking around, trying to find another place that probably wouldn't be as good.
A few minutes later, the Italian couple was talking to the host, and pointing at us. A short conversation later, he walked over to us and said, "I told him you were on your honeymoon and he agreed to seat you, just wait here".
How nice is that?
We looked at the host and he smiled and said that I owed him a kiss.
So we waited, and waited. The Italian couple was seated. Another Italian couple showed up and he was going to seat them, but they said we were there first. The host told them we were on our Honeymoon. They congratulated us, and we had to talk about our wedding, "last weekend".
Finally, we got our table. Once they agreed to seat us, everyone was very nice, our waiter was great. The food, wine, and atmosphere was amazing. It was exactly the meal we wanted.
Cacio e Pepe is a classic Roman dish that is pasta with pepper and pecorino cheese. It's simple, and I'm not sure what the secret is, but it was definitely one of the best dishes we had on our trip.
![]() |
| Enjoying our 2nd Honeymoon & Cacio e Pepe |
In the end, was it worth it? YES. We would highly recommend it to anyone going to Rome. And so would Anthony Bourdain. So much so, he wouldn't say the restaurant name on TV as to not "ruin it"....I think the host will take care of that.
Next up, Rome Part 3 - The Sights
Next up, Rome Part 3 - The Sights


Comments
Post a Comment