Tag Rugby - Game 1

Thursday night I stepped onto a Rugby pitch (well, Tag Rugby pitch) for the first time ever.  Actually, I held a Rugby ball for the first time ever too.  All just 30 minutes before my first Tag Rugby match.

I mentioned in a previous post, that I was invited to play on Brian's office co-ed Tag Rugby team.  Girls just happen to be in high demand and I was eager to play a team sport again.

The girls
Prior to the game, I watched some tutorial videos, read up on the rules and tried to understand the game.  We got to the field a bit early, and my team helped me with the rules, strategies, etc.  Imagine explaining the rules and game of Tag Football to someone who has never even touched a ball before, there is a lot to explain and a lot to learn.

We didn't have any girl subs, so when the whistle blew, I was in for the game.  Honestly, I can't even tell you how many players were on the field, I was so focused on keeping up with the game.

I was playing, what I would call in soccer terms, "Right Wing".  The hardest part for me was hanging back.  It's natural for me to want run out in front to open space to receive a pass, but in Rugby, you can only throw backwards.  So, you want to position yourself slightly behind the ball.

Most of the time, I had no idea why we had a "Roll Ball" (which is sort of similar to an American Football "down", in the sense that you restart the play, but MUCH quicker, there is no stopping) or why there was a turnover, and suddenly, the other team had possession.  And the one that really stumped me was, why, instead of a "Roll Ball", sometimes a player would just tap the ball on their foot and run.  In time, I will get it, but until then, I will just follow what my teammates are doing.

Team Pic - we play better than we pose!
My highlight, I scored!!  Team highlight, we won!  All in all, it was a lot of running (but my knee did well), and pretty fun.  Next week, I think I'll get to play in the middle and get the ball more, can't wait for that.

Comments