Weekend & Sunday Road Trip!

It was a big weekend here in Dublin.

Saturday night was the Heineken Cup Rugby Final, which Dublin's Rugby team won!  That game was immediately followed by the Champion's League Soccer Finals.  Needless to say, the pubs were packed.

Leinster winning the Cup - photo: bbc.co.uk
We joined some of Brian's co-workers at a Pub in our neighborhood, Birchell's, to watch.  It was a fun night including a few Guinness.  My highlight was Brian's co-workers inviting me to join their Tag Rugby team.  Now I just need to do some research on the rules.  Don't worry Mom & Dad, it's like flag football, not rough at all.

Sunday was a big day, Brian and I rented a car!  Our first driving experience here in Ireland, driving on the wrong side of the car and on the wrong side of the road.  The plan was to go South through the Wicklow Mountains, then cut over to the coast and drive back up along the coast back to Dublin.

Brian had to deal with Cars, Bikers and Sheep in the road!
It was stressful for both of us.  Brian kept reminding himself, "Ok, right turn, turn far" and I spent the majority of the trip leaning to the right and holding my breath, as it's not natural for the passenger to be on the left.  After about 10 minutes, Brian asked me not to gasp, which was challenging.  He did a really great job.  Most of the highways we were on were barely wide enough for two cars.  Not to mention all the bikers and the occasional sheep and horse on the highway.

The whole day he stayed on the correct side of the road and turned into the correct lane, and even though I sure we were going to take something out on my side of the car, we didn't.  Ok, there was maybe one little curb scrape, but that's getting really picky.
Drive through Sally Gap, Wicklow Mountains

In Glendalough - remains from St. Kevin's monastic settlement from the 6th Century
St Kevin's Church
Ireland = lot's of grass and happy sheep & cows
Found the beach, Brittas Bay
Sea grass got in the way, but at least it's not through our faces.
I asked a few times throughout the day if I could drive, but Brian wouldn't let me until I asked as we were pulling back into our apartment parking lot.  Finally, I took the wheel, and drove us to a supermarket just down the way.  Brian was so nervous, he couldn't even talk.  But, I drove perfectly.  He said he was surprised at how well I drove a manual - seriously, what about staying on the Left side of the road?  Yes, there was a moment of taking up a bit of the bus lane on the left, but there is a lot to think about!

Comments

  1. We were the same way. I held my breath constantly and leaned and leaned and leaned! Can so identify!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment