It's hard to believe that it's only been 100 days since we landed in Dublin. It's also been about 100 days since my last blog post as Michelle has certainly taken the reins. Seriously, San Francisco seems like a lifetime ago.
While in no particular order I miss my dog, my family, my friends, warm weather, and all types of food; I can say that I have learned infinitely more in the last 100 days than I would have if I were still back home. Home will always be the Bay Area, but for the past few months and for several more to come, Michelle and I have been and will continue to try and feel at home here in Dublin.
 |
| In California with Morrie |
If there is one thing that I know for certain about living abroad is
that it does not come without its challenges, but each challenge brings new experiences, memories, and lessons that I imagine will stay
with me for the rest of my life.
Just a few of my observations:
- In the first 100 days I have received more stamps on my passport than in
my previous 30 years. If nothing else, get out and see the world.
Michelle and I have the opportunity to see a new country every month and
we are absolutely taking full advantage of it.
- So far we have seen:
- Ireland (obviously)
- England
- Italy
- Spain
- Coming up (between now and February) we are headed to:
- Belgium
- Sweden
- Northern Ireland
- The Netherlands
- The Czech Republic
- France
- I have realized how little of my own country I have seen. When I get home, I am going to make a concerted effort to see every state.
- Yes, it rains in Ireland. Bring an umbrella. Cheap umbrellas are just that, cheap. Invest in a good one, you won't regret it.
- When the sun is shining, take advantage of it. To think of all the sunny days that I wasted in California...
- Produce should never be wrapped in plastic. The markets in Italy, Spain, and France that I have seen are incredible. I would love to be able to shop in a similar fashion.
 |
| Lot's of Veggies are pre-packed, even when they're whole |
- When someone says "this place has pretty good Mexican" they are never right. Good Mexican food does not exist in Europe. If someone can prove me otherwise, please do.
- It might take longer, but the back roads are almost always worth it.
- Infrastructure is really a loose concept. What we consider a one way road, apparently is meant for two.
 |
| This is actually better than most highways because it has a center line |
- Still, we really need to work on our public transportation in the states.
- When driving in the countryside, look out for sheep... and horses, and cows.
 |
| cow crossing |
- Guinness really does taste better in Ireland.
- Rugby and football (soccer) are both growing on me, but I really miss heading out to the ballpark to watch the Giants.
- I will never stop saying "awesome". I don't care how much my coworkers make fun of me for sounding American.
- Speaking of American's, let's try to take it down a notch when we travel. We stick out like sore thumbs. No wonder why all the Canadians wear maple leafs to set themselves apart while abroad.
- Capitalism is good. People just don't seem to want to earn money in a large part of Europe. We have tried on many occasions to give people money, but they just don't seem too interested in earning it. Maybe my 52% income tax or the 20% VAT that we pay on all of our purchases keep them happy.
- Street signs are good. I don't understand why it's so hard to put a road sign where you can see it. The side of a building or low down on a fence covered by shrubs just doesn't work.
- Do street names really need to change every few blocks? My office is 5 miles from our house and you can take 1 road the whole way. In 5 miles the road has 8 names: Drummartin, Kilmacud, Goatstown, Roebuck, Clonskeagh, Sandford, Ranelagh, and Charlemont.
- In Ireland, it is perfectly acceptable for boys and men of all ages to go out in sweats. Sweat pants and full on sweatsuits (usually grey) are the must have fashion accessory around Dublin. I just don't get what's so hard about wearing jeans.
- There really aren't many red heads in Dublin. I'm not sure where that idea came from.
- I spend a lot of time in the UK, mostly London for work. The British are as they say "lovely", and while work travel can be tough, I feel really fortunate to be able to spend so much time getting to know such an amazing area.
- I have not met a single Nigel or Jeeves.
- There really are an inordinate number of people with bad teeth.
- Not all beer is served warm, just the cask ales, which are really good. Greene King has been brewing beer since 1799, I really like the IPA and Old Speckled Hen.
- London Black Cabs are the best. Significantly better than cabs in any other city that I have visited.
- London is our savior for everything that we can't find in Dublin. I get pho almost every trip, and have also brought back a daikon radish to make banh mi, and a tortilla press so that we can actually have decent tacos at home.
- British girls have a serious problem with what they call "fakery". In particular, fake tans and eyelashes. I have seen more orange girls in the UK than anywhere else.
- British parliament is hilarious. They boo and hiss at each other, they say "here here". Way better than what we see on C Span.
 |
| My most recent trip to London with B |
- The BBC is broadcast here in Ireland, in fact, almost all TV is UK programming. What I think is unbelievable is that the BBC does not show the weather for the Republic of Ireland. They show Northern Ireland, but nothing in the south. It's amazing, would it kill you to put a number on the screen for us? You don't even have to talk about it, just show it...
- We are way too prude in the US. In the UK you hear all sorts of foul language. Their shows can say or show anything after 9:00. Unless it's on HBO or Showtime, we just can't get away with it.
- It's incredible how few overweight people you see in Europe. There is very little processed food and people actually walk to get places. We could learn a thing or two.
- Still, there is a whole aisle at a local grocery store here with nothing but bacon and sausage, a whole aisle.
- There is a lot of talk about global warming. Here's an idea. Make it easy to recycle. I know that my former home has a lot of issues, but one thing that San Francisco does well is make it easy to recycle. How hard is it for major cities to place recycling bins next to trashcans on the street? It's appalling how much plastic and paper I am forced to through in the trash now.
- It's refreshing not to read about people getting killed every day. Whenever I read sfgate.com there are always multiple shootings. We seem to have the most criminals in jail and the highest crime rate. I never realized how bad of a problem it was until I started reading other papers and was not seeing gang shootings every day. Oakland, get your shit together.
- Unions are crazy powerful in Europe. There is a strike almost every week. Since I started traveling to the UK there have been at least a half dozen transit strikes. The latest was basically a threat from the bus drivers to stop driving during the Olympics unless they are compensated. Crazy.
- To sign up for online banking I had to fill out a form at the bank, wait for 2 pieces of mail to be sent, then talk to someone on the phone. Not really "online". I think that I have taken a lot of US technology for granted.
- I never realized how much I prefer paper towels until I did not have an option. Hand dryers just don't cut it.
- My UK settings on Outlook auto correct all of my American grammar. It's brilliant.
- I just can't pull of "cheers mate". For the time being I'm sticking with "thanks dude".
- It's hard to quantify the value of international work experience until you actually work internationally. It didn't take more than a day to realize how different the same company that I have been at for more than 4 years in the States can be overseas.
The first 100 days have been 100 of the most interesting and thought provoking days of my life. It has not been without a lot of struggles and ups and downs. I would be lying if I did not say that I have second guessed this decision more than once. Still, I don't regret the first 100 days and I am confident that the next will be even better, teach us more about the world, and open us up to new memories.
 |
| We'll be back, someday |
Cheers - Brian
Loved this Brian! I had a lot of the same thoughts when I was in Germany. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your travels and how you adjust to the American culture when you guys finally make it home!
ReplyDelete