Strawberry Shortcake

You might remember a few Saturday's ago, Brian and I had a feast.  He made Cacio e Pepe with homemade pasta and mushroom bruschetta.  And for dessert, I made Strawberry Shortcake.  Well, here it is, and it was good.  So, if you're in need of a festive summer dessert, give it a shot.



I made half of the recipe and it still made 4 very large shortcakes.  The directions also said to use a food processor, but I managed with a bowl and spoon since that is all I have over here.

(measurements are for 1/2 recipe)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt (just guess)
6 tablespoons of butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup light cream
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

First, preheat the oven to 375°F.

Then mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together.  Add butter and mix until you have pea sized butter remaining.

In another bowl, wish together 1/4 cup cream, the egg and vanilla.  Pour this over the flour mixture and stir to combine.

Form into flat round shapes, like the shape of half cup measuring cup,and place on baking sheet.  If you want, you can sprinkle a little sugar on top.  Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.  I made them before dinner, but if you don't, you should let them cool at least 15 minutes before you eat them.
Once you have the shortcakes baked, you just need to slice the strawberries, sprinkle a little sugar on them and let them sit for about 10 minutes to bring out the flavor.  Then, slice your shortbread in half, pile on the strawberries and top with some whipped cream.  Yum!

Comments