Baked Salmon with Mashed Potatoes, Braised Carrots and Leeks
I enjoyed the horseradish sauce earlier in the week so much, that I had to use up the remainder. I decided to make another piece of salmon, but instead of searing the salmon, this time around I decided to bake it. To finish off the meal, I paired the salmon with mashed potatoes and a delicious side of braised leeks and carrots.
For a delicious meal for two, you will need:
1/2 lb of salmon
1 lb of yukon gold potatoes
1/4 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of butter
1 lb of carrots
3 leeks
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup of water
1 clove of garlic
The get started, preheat the oven to 400. Then wash and peel the carrots. Try to get carrots that are all about the same size, and on the smaller side. Slice the leeks in half and wash thoroughly
Scrub the potatoes and place in a pot of water over high heat. Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until fork tender (about 20 minutes).
Heat a drop of butter and olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan. Then add the leeks and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for a bout 5 minutes until the leeks begin to soften and brown.
While the leeks cook away, place the salmon on a lightly oiled baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Place the salmon in the 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until opaque and flaky.
After softening the leeks, add the carrots and mix to incorporate. Cook for just a minute or two and then add the water and vinegar. Cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes until the carrots are soft.
I like to add a little garlic to my mashed potatoes. A really easy way is to use a micro plane and grate a whole clove of garlic into a bowl. Try it some time, it's really easy and the garlic just melts away.
Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them from the water and add to the bowl with the garlic. Add a drop of butter and milk. The grab the masher and mash. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Adjust the seasoning as you see fit. Feel free to add herbs such as chives or even scallions. Sour cream is also a great addition. A basic rule of thumb of mashed potatoes is the more calories you add, the more delicious it is. I keep the calories low when I make mashed potatoes at home. I reserve the really creamy, buttery type for when I am dining out. I guarantee that these potatoes are still tasty even without massive amounts of butter and cream.
By now, the salmon should be cooked. Remember, don't kill the fish, just lightly cook until opaque and flaky. It's better to be slightly undercooked than overcooked. Remove the fish from the oven and allow to rest for a couple of minutes while you finish the veggies.
Remove the lid from the pan with the veggies and boil off the liquid. Make sure to taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. The carrots should be soft but with a bite, and sweet with a kick from the vinegar.
That's it, delicious and nutritious.
Comments
Post a Comment