Egg in the Hole Breakfast

I am pretty sure that there is a technical term for "egg in a hole" but I'm not sure what it is.  Whatever you call it, it's super simple and really tasty. 


The premise is easy enough, take a piece of bread, cut a hole in it, and cook an egg in it.  They're all good things, so how can you go wrong?

For a quick breakfast for two, you will need:

2 eggs
2 pieces of bread (I used leftover Acme Italian Batard from my marrow)
A little bit of butter
Salt and Pepper


Just like it sounds, cut a hole in the bread about the same size as an average egg yolk.  Butter both sides of the bread.


This is a great recipe for a cast iron skillet, use it if you have it.  Toast one side of the bread on medium heat.


Flip the bread once browned on one side.


Finally for the fun part, carefully crack the egg and pour the yolk over the hole.  Make sure to season with salt and pepper to taste.


You could cover the pan at this point and cook a sunny side up egg, or take the riskier route and flip the entire piece of toast.  I took the riskier path which is why there are no action shots.  If you flip the egg, work quickly since it's easy to overcook.


That's it, super simple and really tasty.


I like a more runny yolk, but you could cook the egg longer for a hard yolk.  Really though, why would you want to do that?


Comments