Soup Season - Minestrone
We were both our of town this week for work, so a Friday night at home with a warm bowl of soup was just what we wanted.
This recipe comes from my parents neighbor who brought it to the neighborhood Holiday party. It's not your typical holiday party appetizer, but when it's this good, it works. Well. I had to get my hands on that recipe stat.
B didn't believe it until he tried it. Then he was hooked too.
Just make it, and you'll see what I mean.
Ingredients:
1 lb of Italian sausage (I get half spicy and half mild - thanks for the tip mom!)
2 cloves of garlic - depending on how much you love that
2 cups onion, chopped
2 15oz cans of Italian stewed tomatoes
4 cups beef broth
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 can of kidney beans
1 1/2 cup cooked pasta shells or orchiette
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup parsley, minced
I picked up a little manchego and baguette to snack on since it takes about 1 hour 20 minutes to make the soup. Manchego is my current cheese crush, so delicious.
First, brown the sausage and start the water to cook the pasta (I always forget this step).
When the sausage is browning, dice the onion and garlic.
Once browned, add the onion and garlic. Cook until they are soft.
Add the stewed tomatoes, beef broth, white wine, water and basil. I threw in some pepper as well.
Simmer for 45 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, drain the pasta (or whenever it finishes cooking) and drain the kidney beans.
And prepare the rest of the ingredients. The more the merrier, they don't need to be exactly what the recipe calls for.
oops, forgot the parsley....
....and forgot the tomato paste. Good thing I had 45 minutes!
Add it all to the pot: beans, pasta, parsley, celery, pepper, zucchini, tomato paste and cook for 15 more minutes.
Enjoy, you'll have multiple days of leftovers! (it freezes well)
Comments
Post a Comment