Salmon with Horseradish Sauce
The first rule of cooking salmon is to always buy fresh fish, the frozen stuff (or previously frozen) just isn't the same. The second rule of salmon is to keep it simple. For me, this means salt, pepper, and a little olive oil. I typically don't make a sauce to go with the salmon, but I came across a horseradish sauce recipe that sounded interesting. Turns out it was crazy delicious and paired wonderfully with the salmon and leftover potato salad.
For a great dinner for two, you will need:
2 salmon portions
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dill (fresh or dried)
You can make the sauce ahead to get it out of the way. Just mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. This recipe makes a lot of sauce, plenty for 4 people. Next time I make this sauce for just the two of us I'll probably cut it in half.
For the salmon, heat a pan on medium heat with a drop of olive oil. Make sure to season the fish well with salt and pepper.
Place the salmon in the pan skin side down. The skin will act as a natural buffer, ensuring that you don't burn the fish.
I like my salmon a bit on the rare side, cooking times will vary by size. Just cook until the fish is opaque and flaky. On average cook for about 5 minutes on the skin side, flip and sear the top.
I usually cook the top of the salmon for just another couple of minutes until and nice sear develops.
I served the sauce on the side since I wasn't sure how good it would be with the salmon. Next time I make this though I think that I'll just slather it on top, it was that good. I think it paired great with the potatoes as well if you're in need of a side dish.
Yep, I'm definitely going to make this one!
ReplyDelete