"Don't knock it 'til you try it" Beef Marrow
Okay, before you say anything, have you tried it? Bone marrow is one of my absolute favorite dishes. What's not to like? Amazing beef flavor, crunchy bread, great textures, an all around taste explosion. Plus, you get to eat with your hands, and let's face it, that's alway fun.
This was my first attempt at making this dish at home. My favorite marrow can be found at Euclid Hall in Denver. I have to get it every time I am in town. Here is the "after" pic from my trip to Denver last week.
I finally decided to try and make my "it's on the menu so I have to order it" dish at home. You can find marrow bones (typically veal femur bones) at most butchers. They don't always have them on hand so it's best to call ahead. I found mine at Faletti Foods down in Hayes Valley. They were super nice and held the bones for me until I could pick them up after work. The butcher said that they sell out fast..
You'll notice that the bones up top are split, and the ones down below are not. They taste the same, but I prefer the split bones as they are easier to eat. If possible, I recommend that you ask the butcher to split the bones for you in advance. If you have a band saw at home you could try this yourself but I wouldn't encourage it.
Marrow is not really a meal, it's pretty rich. I would recommend 1-2 bones per person for a great appetizer or shared plate.
Preheat the oven to 450. Line a casserole dish or baking pan with aluminum foil and place the bones on top. Roast the marrow for about 20 minutes until soft, but not running out onto the foil.
Typically marrow is accompanied by toasted country bread and a parsley salad. I used Italian Batard from Acme Bread, arguably the best bakery around. If you live in San Francisco and are not enjoying Acme bread, you really should be.
For the salad, mix a shallot, a tablespoon of capers, and a 1/2 cup of chopped Italian parsley in a bowl. Make a quick vinaigrette with the juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Whisk together and add to the salad just before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
After 20 minutes or so, the bones should be ready.
If you have a small fork or knife (such as those designed for shell fish) that works great for these bones. Again, the split kind of marrow bones make eating them much easier. Spread some marrow on the toasted bread and top with a bit of salad.
I was totally blown away at how easy this dish is and how absolutely delicious it can be when made at home (and cheap too, $7 for 6 bones)
If you are seriously doubting marrow, and I know that many of you are, there are some great places to try it around the city. Marlowe and Beast and Hare both have great versions. The best that I have had in the City though has to be at Wayfare Tavern.
You know it's good when the Wife is asking for the last bite... The fact that she lets me order marrow every time I see it on the menu is one of the many reasons that I love her.





Brian, you need to quit your day job and do this full time. I love your posts and plan to try many of your recipies. I have always LOVED marrow bones. I use them in a beef barley soup recipe that is great for a winter time meal. Lenore
ReplyDelete